Courtroom Tension as Defense Accuses Attorney General of ‘Undermining Justice’ in Ongoing Trial

Photo credit- GBC Online

Accra, Ghana — A tense exchange erupted in court on Monday as defense counsel accused the Attorney General’s Department of attempting to “undermine the cause of justice” in an ongoing high-profile criminal case.

The allegation followed complaints that prosecutors had yet to serve the defense with required disclosure documents, despite a prior court order.

Andy Appiah Kubi argued that the Attorney General, who also serves as Minister for Justice, must be guided by fairness and due process in discharging his dual responsibilities. “We should be careful not to attempt to influence decisions of God. The Attorney General is also the Minister of Justice his role in ensuring justice is even more important than his prosecutorial duties,” Andy Appiah Kubi said after court proceedings.

“The way the Attorney General appears to be poaching his own accused persons suggests there is intent to undermine the cause of justice. We will resist your process,” the defense added.

The lawyer further cautioned that the principle of freedom and justice, embodied in Ghana’s national emblem, must apply equally to “all accused persons until they are proven guilty.”

Representing the Republic, Maame Osae Gyamerah from the Attorney General’s office informed the court that disclosure documents had been filed on October 31, 2025, and were ready for service on the defense team. “The Republic filed its disclosures on October 31, 2025. They are here, and we would like to take a short date for service on counsel for the accused persons,” Maame Osae Gyamerah said.

The presiding judge acknowledged that the Attorney General filed disclosures at 12:45 p.m. on October 31, but confirmed that no proof of service had been recorded, validating the defense’s claim. “On the record, the Attorney General has filed disclosures on October 31 at 12:45 p.m.; however, there is no proof of service, which confirms the submission by counsel,” the judge stated.

Following the exchanges, the case was adjourned to November 12, 2025, to allow time for formal service of documents and review by the defense.


Read Also

Abdul Rahman Taofiq

Abdul Rahman Taofiq is a news reporter with DM Media Group.

Previous
Previous

Former NPA CEO Faces GH¢291m Extortion Charges Together with Nine Others — OSP Reveals

Next
Next

PAC Refers KATH, Ridge Hospital and 10 Other Public Institutions to Attorney General for Prosecution