El-Wak stampede: 3 leave ICU, 16 still hospitalised – GAF
Accra, Ghana- The Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) has issued a fresh update on the victims of last Wednesday’s November 12, 2025 stampede at the El-Wak Sports Stadium, reporting marked improvement in the condition of several critically injured persons. The tragedy, which occurred during a military recruitment exercise, has so far resulted in six deaths.
According to Captain Veronica Adzo Arhin, Acting Director-General of GAF’s Department of Public Relations, three of the five victims who were originally admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) have stabilized and been moved to a general ward.
Speaking on Citi Eyewitness News on Monday, November 17, she noted that 29 injured persons were sent to the hospital on the day of the incident. Medical teams, she said, have been working tirelessly to prevent additional fatalities.
“Three of the five ICU cases are now doing better and have been transferred,” she stated.
Captain Arhin added that although some victims have recovered enough to be discharged, 16 remain on admission and are still under close observation.
“Of the 29 brought in, about 16 are still with us. Others have been treated and discharged, but all are receiving proper care. We hope that no more lives are lost,” she said.
She also confirmed that the 37 Military Hospital, with government support, is absorbing all medical expenses for those affected by the stampede.
“The hospital is covering the full cost for anyone treated due to the incident,” she assured.
Read Also
Irene Anim is a news reporter and writer with DM Media Group

