Stampede at El Wak Stadium During Military Recruitment Leaves Six Dead, Several Injured
Military recruitment at El Walk Stadium in Accra- Photo credit Citi news
Accra, Ghana – Six people have been confirmed dead following a stampede at the El Wak Sports Stadium in Accra during a Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) recruitment exercise on Wednesday , 12 November 2025.
The incident occurred early Wednesday morning when hundreds of applicants converged on the stadium for the physical screening phase of the 2025/2026 enlistment process. Witnesses say the crowd, which had gathered as early as 4:00 a.m., surged toward the entry gates once they were opened, resulting in chaos and trampling.
“The Ghana Armed Forces regrets to announce the unfortunate loss of lives during the recruitment exercise at El Wak Stadium. Investigations have commenced to determine the circumstances leading to the incident. We’re in touch with the families of the deceased and will provide the necessary support,” the statement signed by Captain Veronica Adzo Arhin, Acting Director of Public Relations, said.
According to the GAF, six applicants were pronounced dead on arrival at the 37 Military Hospital, while several others remain under medical care for injuries sustained during the stampede.
Eyewitnesses described the scene as “chaotic and heartbreaking,” noting that the sheer size of the crowd made crowd control extremely difficult.
“People started pushing when the gates opened and everyone wanted to get in first,” one applicant said. “Some fell, and others couldn’t get up.”
Security officials quickly moved in to restore order, but the surge had already caused multiple casualties.
The GAF says it has launched an internal investigation to establish the cause of the tragedy and determine whether there were lapses in crowd management or safety protocols.
“The Ghana Armed Forces is deeply saddened by this incident and is working closely with the relevant authorities to support the affected families,” Captain Arhin stated.
The military further indicated that next-of-kin of the deceased are being contacted and will receive full support and counseling from the Armed Forces and the Ministry of Defence.
Read Also

