Ghana Awaits U.S. Decision on Extradition of Former MASLOC CEO — Attorney General Clarifies in Parliament
Accra, Ghana — Ghana’s Attorney General and Minister for Justice, Dr. Dominic Ayine, has clarified the status of the government’s efforts to secure the extradition of former MASLOC CEO Sedina Christine Tamaklo-Attionu, stressing that the United States authorities are currently processing Ghana’s request and that the state has taken all necessary legal steps.
Addressing Parliament during Tuesday’s sitting, the Attorney General rejected claims that his office had been inactive or slow in pursuing the convicted former government official, who fled Ghana before judgment was delivered in her trial.
According to documents he presented, Ghana formally submitted the extradition request on July 19, 2024, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to the U.S. Department of Justice. He added that his office has since followed up on the matter, most recently in September 2025, to ensure progress.
“If any impression is being created that I am not taking steps, this is the evidence,” Dr. Ayine told the House.
“In September, just a month ago, I inquired from the U.S. Justice Department about the steps they were taking regarding the extradition. They indicated that they are following their extradition procedures and that the fugitive will be extradited as soon as these are satisfied.”
Dr. Ayine also addressed public calls for the issuance of an Interpol Red Notice in relation to the former MASLOC CEO. He clarified that such a notice is unnecessary because Sedina Attionu is not a fugitive awaiting trial, but rather a person already tried, convicted, and sentenced, who must now be returned only to serve her custodial term.
No interpol needed AG
“In her case, she has been tried and convicted. All we want is for her to be extradited to serve the sentence,” the Attorney General explained. “There is no need for us to serve an Interpol notice in that respect.”
Sedina Attionu, who served as CEO of the Microfinance and Small Loans Centre (MASLOC) under the previous administration, was convicted of causing financial loss to the state and sentenced in absentia after she failed to return to Ghana during her trial. She has since been located in the United States. The trial which began in 2019, saw six witnesses called by the state and concluded with a final judgment of 10 years in prison with hard labor.
The Attorney General told Parliament that Ghana is now awaiting the completion of U.S. extradition requirements, a process handled solely by the American justice system once a request is lodged.
He assured MPs that his office remains fully engaged: “We are awaiting the execution of our request. The United States authorities have assured us the process is underway.”
Read Also

