SSNIT Recovers GH¢7.4 Million from Defaulting Employers — PAC Probes Outstanding Contributions
ACCRA, GHANA —The Director-General of the Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) Kwesi Afreh Biney has disclosed before Parliament’s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) that management has recovered GH¢7.4 million out of GH¢15.3 million owed by defaulting employers as of December 31, 2023.
The funds were part of contributions owed by 4,867 institutions that had submitted monthly reports but failed to remit payments to SSNIT, a violation flagged in paragraph 1081 of the 2023 Auditor-General’s Report.
“Management has recovered GH¢7,405,865.55 involving 3,440 institutions. Action has also been taken on the outstanding GH¢7.9 million,” the Director-General told the committee. He was answering to the question asked by Alexander Roosevelt Hottordze, Member of Parliament for Central Tongu.
He added that 120 institutions have been referred to the Legal and Inspection General Affairs (LIGA) Unit for enforcement, while 533 institutions owing GH¢5.4 million are under legal review. A further 774 institutions are being pursued through a special recovery exercise expected to lift total recoveries to over GH¢10 million next year.
Auditors confirmed the recoveries, noting their figures GH¢7,102,796.08 closely align with SSNIT’s, pending reconciliation.
A related infraction, cited in paragraph 1087, involved overdue contributions totaling GH¢237,124, which have now been reduced to GH¢32,683, with only two institutions still in arrears one of which has ceased operations.
“We will continue pursuing the remaining two. One company has folded, but we are engaging to recover as much as possible,” the Director-General said.
Member of Parliament for Atwima Nwabiagya North, Frank Yeboah followed up with a questioned SSNIT over unpaid rent totaling GH¢ 793,000 owed by 23 tenants, including both public and private institutions.
According to him the debtors include Ghana Commercial Bank, CHRAJ, MASLOC, and several private companies, pressing management for answers on recovery efforts. Responding, the Director-General reported that GH¢ 729,000 had been recovered from 18 tenants, leaving an outstanding balance of GH¢ 63,000, mostly from defunct private companies.
“We have instituted monthly investment council meetings to ensure accountability and stronger monitoring of property managers,” he explained. “By the time we appear next year, we expect a much better performance.”
However, auditors told the committee that their last verified recovery stood at GH¢ 24,617.65, indicating that updated figures had yet to be formally reconciled.
“We will share the total recovered to date with the audit service so it’s captured properly,” the Director-General assured the committee.
Deputy Finance Minister Thomas Ampem Nyarko assured PAC that SNNIT is working assiduously to manage members' contributions effectively, invest them properly, so that they can make returns and pay good pensions to pensioners.
Read Also
WAEC’s 2025 WASSCE results reveal strong English performance but a sharp decline in Maths. Over 6,000 results cancelled and 185 schools under investigation.
Speaker Alban Bagbin has ruled that Kpandai MP Matthew Nyindam remains a member of Parliament despite a High Court order for a re-run, citing a mandatory seven-day appeal window.
Speaker Alban Bagbin has referred Minority Leader Alexander Afenyo-Markin to the Privileges Committee for allegedly attending an ECOWAS Parliament session despite being removed from Ghana’s official delegation.
Education Minister Haruna Iddrisu has rejected claims by MP Ekow Vincent that government spent GH₵45 per sanitary pad, calling the calculation false and misleading while defending the transparency of the program.
Ghana’s Supreme Court has ordered Wesley Girls’ High School, the GES, and the Attorney General to file their defence within 14 days in a landmark human rights case over Muslim students’ right to fast and wear the hijab.
Ghana’s Minority Caucus has rejected the Tamale High Court’s order for a rerun of the Kpandai parliamentary election, arguing that the 500 disputed ballots could not overturn a 3,734-vote victory margin.
The Office of the Special Prosecutor will arraign former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta and seven others on November 24 over 78 corruption and procurement-related charges linked to the SML revenue assurance contracts. The case involves former GRA officials and SML executives.
The Court of Appeal has acquitted William Baah in the Major Mahama case after years of trial. His lawyer says the ruling exposes deep structural flaws in Ghana’s justice system, citing prolonged detention, procedural failures, and evidence that should never have gone to trial.
The Ministry of Interior and the Ghana Police Service have unveiled a comprehensive nationwide security plan to protect citizens and revelers during the 2025 festive season. Measures include increased patrols, enhanced visibility, traffic control, and rapid-response readiness.
Ghana’s Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has revealed that 169 Ghanaians have been deported from the United States, with an additional 388 nationals currently detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). He made the disclosure in Parliament on November 19.
Ghana has officially regained access to five-year U.S. visas, with all previous restrictions lifted, the Foreign Affairs Minister announced in Parliament on Wednesday, November 19.
The ECOWAS Court has dismissed former Chief Justice Gertrude Torkornoo’s request for interim measures to stop the committee that probed her removal. Ghanaian MP Bernard Baidoo says the ruling confirms the process was constitutional and complete.
Ghana’s Attorney General says the U.S. is processing Sedina Attionu’s extradition and clarifies no Interpol Red Notice is required since she is already convicted.
Attorney General Dominic Ayine has justified EOCO’s recent high bail conditions imposed on suspects, including former government appointees, telling Parliament the measures are lawful, necessary, and tied to the scale of alleged financial crimes—not political witch-hunting.
The Office of the Special Prosecutor has filed criminal charges against former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta, senior GRA officials and SML over an alleged GHS 1.4 billion procurement and revenue assurance scandal. The OSP cites abuse of office, unlawful contract awards and financial loss to the state.
Ghana has recorded a significant drop in bribery prevalence, falling from 18.4% to 14.3%, according to the latest Governance Series Wave 2 Report by the Ghana Statistical Service. The findings highlight progress in governance, accountability, and citizen engagement nationwide.
Newly sworn-in Chief Justice Paul Baffoe-Bonnie has vowed to defend the rule of law, safeguard judicial independence, and uphold Ghana’s constitutional order. Speaking at his swearing-in ceremony on November 17, he emphasized that the judiciary must remain free from interference while ensuring accountability and public trust.
The Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) has confirmed significant improvement in the condition of victims of the November 12 El-Wak Stadium stampede. Three of the five ICU patients have been stabilised and transferred to a general ward, while 16 others remain hospitalised. The tragic incident occurred during a military recruitment exercise and has so far claimed six lives.
The 2026 Budget Statement has unveiled a major policy direction from President John Mahama aimed at strengthening Ghana’s agricultural sector and stabilizing markets for local producers.

